January 3, 2010

Cocktail Meatballs

It was holiday potluck time at work, and although I was VERY tempted to bring a dessert, I decided to add to the spread of appetizers and main courses (I ended up being surprised by the number of contributors!). Off I went on a hunt for an appetizer...

The search function on AllRecipes pulled through yet again. I searched the appetizer collection by rating... lots of salsas and dips came up... then I found the winner: cocktail meatballs! A classic. Interesting tidbit: "meatball" was the first word I could read. Really. You can't make these things up.

1 pound lean ground beef
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup bread crumbs (stick with plain)
3 tablespoons minced onion

1 can (8 ounces) jellied cranberry sauce
3/4 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • Stir together the first 5 ingredients. I used a fork, but you might be able to use a hand mixer. Roll into small meatballs.
  • Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 20 - 25 minutes, turning once.
  • In large saucepan over low heat, blend the cranberries, chili sauce, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Add meatballs and increase heat until sauce just reaches a boiling point. Then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
  • If you're in a rush, shave half an hour off prep time by using frozen meatballs!
Simmer down now...
Lisa's artistic contribution
Potluck party time!

No comments: